- 1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 Tbsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups packed spinach
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- Note* If you want to boost the protein of this recipe, a protein supplement such as unflavored whey powder can be added or tender-cooked and finely diced chicken breast.
- Cut the broccoli florets from the stems. Trim off dry, fibrous ends. Cut the stems lengthwise into slices about 1/2-inch thick and then crosswise making 1/2-inch pieces.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a soup pot over medium-high heat until hot. Add the garlic and cook until light brown Add the onion and celery, lower the heat to medium, and season with pepper. Cook the veggies slowly until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the thyme and stir. Add the broccoli stems and stock and bring to a boil. Cook uncovered, for about 3 minutes. Add the florets and continue to cook until very tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender in small batches. Add some of the spinach and some of the lemon zest to each batch and then puree it. Return the soup to the pan and reheat over gentle heat. Stir in the buttermilk and simmer.