- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 medium uncooked onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 45 oz canned black beans, drained and divided (three 15 oz cans)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 14 1/2 oz fat free chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 10 oz canned tomatoes with green chilies
- 11 oz canned yellow corn, drained
- Coat the bottom of a large stockpot with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Place two cans of drained beans in a blender; add sautéed onion mixture, red pepper flakes and cumin. Add some of the broth to help puree. Cover and blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds, then add back to the stockpot.
- Stir the third can of beans (do not puree), tomatoes and green chilies, remaining broth, and corn into stockpot. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.