- 1 large sweet potato – peeled and cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil – divided
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- a dash of smoked paprika
- 2 cups black lentils – you can substitute brown lentils if you’d like
- 2 scallions – white and green parts thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. honey or light agave nectar
- juice of 1 medium lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350F. In a roasting pan or baking sheet, toss the cubed sweet potato together with 1 tbsp. of olive oil, a bit of salt and pepper and the dash of smoked paprika. Roast until tender and slightly caramelized (around 25 minutes) Once roasted, allow to cool to room temperature.
- While the sweet potatoes roast, cook your lentils. In a medium pot with a lid, combine the 2 cups of black lentils with 3 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil for 2 to 3 minutes then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until tender but NOT soft. (around 25 minutes)
- Drain into a fine mesh colander and allow to cool to room temperature.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the lentils, sweet potatoes, chopped scallions, diced celery and celery leaves (if using). Once combined, drizzle over the remaining 1 tbsp. olive oil & honey and squeeze the lemon juice into the bowl.
Combine well to make sure everything get dressed. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. This salad is great at room temperature but can be kept overnight and brought back to room temp to serve.