- 2/3 cup farro
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale (about 10 ounces)
- 1 to 2 avocados, cut into large dice
- 2 spring carrots, peeled or scrubbed and sliced into thin rounds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 stalk green garlic, white and light green parts, chopped, or 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Leaves from 1/2 bunch tarragon
- Leaves from 1/2 bunch Italian parsley
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Moscatel vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- To make the dressing, place all of the dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, or use an immersion blender to blend all the ingredients in a bowl.
- To make the salad, bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Add the farro and cook until tender, 16 to 18 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water until cool, then drain well.
- Remove the stems from the kale. Cut away any tough ends, then finely slice the stems and tear the kale leaves into small bite-size pieces. Place both the stems and leaves in a large salad bowl.
- To remove stems from chard or kale, start by trimming the stem ends. Then hold a leaf by the stem in one hand and use the other hand to tear the leaves from the stem into bite-size pieces. To make cleaner-looking stems, use a knife to cut the leaves from the stem on both sides in a pointy triangle.
- Add the avocados, carrots, and farro.
- Add half of the dressing and toss to combine. Add more dressing if desired.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.